...Seriously, Sir?
Here's a picture of the office:
"Let's start with something easy, like the Aileron Roll."
"Uh, okay, sounds good sir" was what I said, what I was really thinking was, "oh $#&%, is he serious??? Does he not remember what happened the last time we started out doing this... honestly, why can't we just do a loop? I like loops, they're easy .... and they never made me puke."
However, I'd already completed a couple Spins and stalls and I was feeling fine (as with every other flight except for ... again please refer to entry entitled "Bananas"). So I went along with it and he demo-ed an aileron roll and then I did two in each direction. They were fine but on the first one in each direction I put too much forward stick pressure which made us become momentarily weightless while upside down. It was only a second as each roll lasts only about 3 full seconds anyways.
I got through 5 aileron rolls and then it hit me. I held onto the controls and flew straight and level for another 5 minutes and then my instructor offered to go into something else easy like a barrel roll. I told him that maybe the rotation wasn't such a good idea and we should do a loop. He said no, it was the Gs that were bothering me... okay, fine, maybe I disagree, but he knows a lot more than I do, so we compromised and he did a Wing-over. No change, so after another 10 minutes of debate, mainly me trying to decided whether or not I was going to give the technicolor yawn into the unsettlingly small ziploc bags I bought at the gas station across the street from the hotel, I told him that if we did any more PAs (Precision Aerobatics), I was going to vomit.
Not wanting to toss the tasty egg and cheese breakfast quesadilla I'd intelligently ate about a half hour before my flight, I took controls and flew us (poorly) back to Las Cruces "International" Airport.
It wasn't a moment a moment too soon, because the air was so turbulent that I gradually got worse the closer we got to home. I taxiied back to the line and pretty much missed a direction signal from a lineman and barely got us parked. It wasn't fun, but in the end I didn't need my ziploc baggies and the cockpit remained no more dusty and grotty than when I'd strapped in.
I was ready for a second try today with a number of powdered ginger pills, a light breakfast (suggested by the flight doc who I was required to meet with today) and a whole lot of willpower. However, the winds were just out of limits (about 25 gusting to 30) it was great sailing weather, too bad I'm in the desert, so we were cancelled.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home