Thursday, July 2, 2009

I did it


(My jet was the one parked in the back left with the dark stripe)

10 Traps, 4 Touch and Gos, 1 Own Wave-Off (bad!), 1 Wave-off (not as bad) and 1 bolter (least bad)

Each trap felt like I was in a car crash, each cat shot felt like I was being hurled into outer space by an acceleration I've never known and could not possibly describe accurately.

Here are some words that describe the 2-day experience (June 10-11): terrifying, exhilarating, powerful, dangerous, fun, incredibly difficult, challenging, easier than I thought, harder than I though, exhausting, heat, tired, dehydrated, loud, confusing, periods of boredom, periods of intensity, huge accomplishment, badass, ego boost, justifiably proud, better than the Air Force, confidence.

I will miss flying the T-45 more than any vehicle I've ever known, it was like my own personal rocket car.

That being said, I have a two month wait before starting T-44s in Corpus Christi. I've decided to spend one of those months working, once again, in the Defense Attache Office in Paris, France. It does feel a little overkill to be going back to France for the 4th summer (6th or 7th time overall?), but I like it here, my French is better than the last time and I definitely feel like I'm doing more for the "greater good" than if I were to just hang around Mississippi (although, with our Aeronavale students there, in both cases I'd be speaking a lot of French).

So life is good, la vie est belle and Happy 4th of July!

1 Comments:

At November 13, 2009 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Flight Crew said...

Congratulations, James, on your achievement, and one a great journal telling us about it!

And for the next chapter....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home